Blackbird Knob Trail, Dolly Sods Wilderness
North Bend Rail Trail
ADT in West Virginia
Sharon & Paul Weekley
HC 69, Box 9A
West Union, WV 26456
General Overview of Trail
In West Virginia the American Discovery Trail ventures through what might be called the "amazement park" of eastern America. Many trails offer scenic vistas, pastoral settings, stirring waterfalls, and botanical diversification, while rivers provide for whitewater rafting, kayaking, canoeing and sternwheel pleasures. There are also caves for underground exploring; cliffs for climbing; and friendly people to assure success in your trekking adventures. Plus, the mystique of the of Civil War-era tunnels and the local legends of the trail add to West Virginia's assets for a multifaceted outdoor visit.
Detailed Trail Description
The trail in West Virginia is 288.6 miles long, with four segments.
Maryland State Line to Streby 59.5 miles
Streby to Nestorville 69.7 miles
Nestorville to Wilsonburg 84 miles
Wilsonburg to Ohio State Line 75 miles
For more details on the route, click here.
The most up-to-date, detailed trail directions are published in the ADT Data Books.
- Monongahela National Forest
- Harpers Ferry National Historic Park
- Canaan Valley Resort State Park
- Tygart Lake State Park
- Blackwater Falls State Park
- North Bend State Park
- Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park and Museum
- Mountwood Park
Points of Interest
- Appalachian Mountain Range
- Potomac Highlands
- Greenland Gap
- Nancy Hanks Memorial
- Blackwater River Canyon and Falls
- Dolly Sods Wilderness Area
- Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge
- Otter Creek Wilderness Area
- Salem Depot, Fort New Salem
- Veterans Memorial in Salem
- Smithton Depot in Smithburg
- Doddridge County Courthouse in West Union
- Veterans Memorial in West Union
- Pennsboro Depot in Pennsboro
- Ritchie County Veterans Memorial in Cairo
- Old Bank of Cairo which is on the National Register (houses North Bend Rails to Trails Foundation office)
- Blennerhassett Hotel and Museum in Parkersburg
- Oil and Gas Museum in Parkersburg
- Julia-Ann Historic District
- Point Park and Plaza
- Smoot Theater
- Wood County Courthouse
For more information about the ADT Society, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For membership inquiries, please email us at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2001-2011, American Discovery Trail Society. All rights reserved.